Commercial trucks cause dangers to smaller vehicles. Most of the truck accidents happen due to reckless decisions made by truck drivers. In some cases, the accidents occur due to poor maintenance of roads or some fault in trucks. Truck accidents are handled differently than that of other vehicles.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in the United States
Fatigue is one of the most common causes of truck crashes. Truck drivers drive commercial trucks for long period of time. Many trucking companies allow truck drivers to work for more hours. This can cause fatal crashes when a truck driver is sleep-deprived.
It is quite dangerous to drive while distracted by mobile phones or by eating something. Trucks are more susceptible to accidents while distracted.
Many truckers take alcohol and non-medicinal drugs while driving. This can easily lead to road accidents.
Trucking companies usually ask truckers to reach specific destinations within a particular time frame. Due to pressure, truckers drive over the speed limit to reach on time. Overspeeding leads to fatal truck accidents.
Weather and Road Conditions
Not all roads are perfect for driving especially for commercial trucks. Unpaved or pothole-ridden roads make the driving difficult for drives. Poor weather conditions, such as snow can lead to deadly truck crashes on the road.
Truck Accidents Involve Fatal Injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Airbag injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Lost limbs
- Serious internal injuries
- Wrongful death
Here are a few important truck accident facts in the United States:
- Large trucks are more likely to be involved in deadly accidents than vans and buses.
- There were more than 300,000 large trucks involved in fatal accidents in the U.S.
- More than 4000 individuals die in truck crashes each year.
- Most deadly truck accidents happen in rural areas on weekdays.
- 1 out of 8 traffic fatalities involves a crash with a commercial truck.
- More than 25% of truck accidents result in fatal injuries.
- Truck accident injuries accounted for 8% of all deadly crashes.
- Rollovers are the most dangerous semi-truck crashes.
- Truck accidents usually happen due to improper maintenance.
- About 10% of highway deaths happen due to truck accidents.
- Speeding and distracted driving are the most common causes of truck crashes.
- More than 60% of deadly truck crashes involve two vehicles.
- Most of the truck accidents happen during clear weather.
- Most of the truck accidents occur on Thursday.
If you or your loved one has been in a truck accident due to someone else’s negligence, speak to a professional Pittsburgh attorney or lawyer to obtain compensation for your medical expenses, property damage, lost income, and pain and suffering.