Car accident cases may take weeks, months or even years to be settled. If you had a car accident, you might wonder how long it will take to get settled. If you hadn’t file a car accident claim in the past, several questions are going to come up in your mind. Filing a car accident claim is not easy as it comes with a lot of steps.
It’s no secret that information is the king in car accident settlements. It is advisable to click pictures of the accident scene, obtain contact and insurance information for other drivers, get contact information for any passenger in vehicles involved, get contact information for witnesses, file a police statement and notify your insurance company of the car accident.
What to Ask For In A Car Accident?
Settlements can be complicated, and coming up with the money you deserve is not easy. Following are a few elements that must be examined in order to come up with the right settlement amount after a car crash:
- The total cost of car damage
- Your pain and suffering
- The total cost of your medical expenses
- The percentage of each driver’s fault in the car accident
- The extent of your personal injuries
- Your mental suffering
Insurance companies focus on making money through settlements. They try to make a low initial offer and don’t provide the right settlement for the claim. Well, low-dollar claims settle quickly but if you have suffered fatal injuries, the adjuster can resist paying the fair amount. Even if the insurance company is not willing to make a fair offer, your lawyer can file a lawsuit.
Few Common Tactics They Use
- Making low settlement offers
- Waiting until victims are facing major medical expenses before making a settlement offer
- Making an offer before victims talk to a lawyer
- Misrepresenting legal rights of victims
- Suggesting that hiring a lawyer will affect their claims negatively
A lawyer familiar with these tactics will help you protect your rights by providing you the right settlement. Once you hire a professional lawyer, the insurance company will communicate directly with your lawyer.
Don’ts While Negotiating For Compensation
- Don’t be friendly with the adjuster
- Don’t give a recorded statement without an attorney
- Don’t be manipulated by the adjuster
- Don’t lie
- Don’t share your social security number with the adjuster
- Don’t answer all the questions
The process of settling a personal injury claim is quite complicated, and insurance companies do everything to pay as little as possible. So, it is advisable to find and hire one of the professional lawyers or attorneys to acquire the maximum possible compensation for your pain and suffering.
Lawsuit works in following three steps.
- Filing A Complaint
- The Plaintiff
If you or your loved one has been injured in a car crash as a result of someone else’s negligence, talk to a leading attorney or lawyer to obtain the right settlement. You’ll get the compensation you deserve by hiring an experienced Pittsburgh car accident lawyer or law firm.